I wanted to bake something and I didn’t want to bake a cake again.. I noticed in my blog that I have been baking cakes for the past month, which pretty much defies the purpose of this blog (this isn’t … Continue reading
6 Egg yolks
1 cup Granulated sugar
2 tsp. Espresso/Instant coffee granules (I used Nescafe)
2 tsps. Cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
2 tsps. Warm water
1/2 cup Canola/Vegetable Oil
1 cup Cake flour
1 tsps. Baking powder
6 Egg Whites, at room temperature
1 tsps. Cream of tartar
1.Preheat the oven at 180C. Grease a 9 inch round pan.
2.Cream the sugar and egg yolks until you get a creamy light yellow mixture. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar till stiff peaks are formed.
3. Mix the coffee granules with cocoa powder and add the warm water, mix well. Pour this into the egg sugar mixture along with the oil and beat well to mix.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder over the sugar mixture. Stir until everything is blended well.
5. Fold in the egg whites into this mocha batter until no traces of whites are seen.
6. Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a stick inserted comes out clean.
7.Cool the cakes in the pan for a few minutes and then turn them on to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
Recipe Notes: If cream of tartar isn’t available, you can substitute it with either white vinegar or lemon juice.
I got up and went straight to the fridge to get my model for the shoot when I figured that a snoopy someone got a piece of my cake. “Who ate my freaking cake!!” I yelled. “I told you guys … Continue reading
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3/4 cups evaporated milk
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Melt chopped chocolate on a double broiler, stir thoroughly until smooth, remove from heat, then set aside to cool.
2. Using a blender, mix the milk and sugar and beat for a minute. Add vanilla and pulse. Add the melted chocolate and soft butter and blend for about 2 minutes. Beat for another minute or until thick and shiny; you will notice a change in sound, this means you already have the right consistency.
3. Pour icing to a bowl and let sit at room temperature for about an hour.
Recipe notes: MAKE SURE your unsalted butter is at room temperature before using. I learned to hard way and had to discard my almost finished icing to make a new one. The coldness of the butter destroyed the texture and so the icing had tiny bits of lumps. It changed the taste of the icing as well. Eeeck.
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup big chunks of chocolate bar
2 cups sugar
11/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup hot brewed coffee
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 150C degrees.
2. Melt the chocolate on a double broiler, stir until smooth then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. Combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in the coffee, vegetable oil, and sour cream. Mix until well incorporated. Add the eggs, putting 1 egg at a time, stir in the melted chocolate, and mix well.
4. Scoop parts into a lined cupcake pan and put big chunks of chocolate into the cups. Place it into the preheated oven. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven when a toothpick or skewer comes out clean. Let the batch cool completely before icing.
2 cups All-Purpose flour
2 cups grated Carrot (2 large carrots)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
2. Mix sugar, eggs (1 at a time), and oil until thick. Add salt, baking soda, carrots, flour, walnuts and spices and stir well until fully incorporated.
3. Put batter into cupcake pan with cupcake paper and place into oven for 8-11 minutes.
Recipe notes: Baking time always depends on the oven. So always check.
Happy valentines! So I decided to make a pre-order sale before valentines.. I was supposed to bake cupcakes the night before the 14th but I wasn’t able to do so because I was too tired. I had to do stuff … Continue reading